Coming in a wide variety of colors and shades, hair dye is often used to change one’s hair color. But can you use hair dye on your beard? The answer is yes--with some limitations.
The color of your beard will be determined by the type of hair follicles that produce the hair on the beard area. This means that if you have black or dark brown hair on your head and want to dye it blonde, then you would need to bleach it first since the follicle producing the beard hair is different than those for the head.
Table of Contents
- Is beard dye any different than regular hair dye?
- Can you dye all the color on the beard?
- How long to leave hair dye on beard
- Can I use regular hair dye on my beard?
- Can I use beard dye on my head hair?
- How to dye beard naturally
- How to remove hair dye from beard skin
- Should I dye my beard to match my hair?
- Can you dye white beard hair?
- Can I dye brown beard hair yellow or orange?
Is beard dye any different than regular hair dye?
Beard hair dye contains lighter and more stable dyes which ensure a uniform color on the beard. The thicker beard hairs will disperse the dye much better than the hair on the head, thus producing a much brighter look.
In fact, many of the most popular beard dyes also contain ammonia and soaps. So, this type of dye doesn’t have the tendency to cause beard damage.
Can you dye all the color on the beard?
Like other hair dye, you will need to apply some beard dye on the hair on your beard. Before you start dyeing, make sure to wash the beard thoroughly to remove all the oils and toxins that accumulate. This is necessary to avoid damage to the follicles of the beard.
How long to leave hair dye on beard
The hair on your beard (usually) lasts for a much shorter time than the hair on the head. It is recommended that you apply hair dye after your beard hair is fully grown in and not during the growing period.
That way, you will get the same color intensity in your beard. But that is a rule of thumb. You need to test the color intensity of the hair dye to know if you are doing the right thing or not.
Can I use regular hair dye on my beard?
Not usually, as that would damage the natural hair. If your beard hair is short, you can change the color by using a beard tint. But if your beard grows out to more than 1-2 inches, you might be better off going with a permanent color to make sure the change is permanent and to give your beard some color.
However, the colors used for the beard can be extremely off-putting. For example, go to the store and buy a bright orange beard tint, and you are almost guaranteed to have someone pointing and laughing at you.
But, since hair dye doesn’t have any of the harsh chemicals found in permanent color, your skin may be able to tolerate it better.
Can I use beard dye on my head hair?
Yes, you can dye your hair on your head and let your beard grow out. It is advised to do this when you are younger, before your facial hair grows too long.
How to dye your beard
- To dye your beard, first remove the beard hairs with tweezers. If your beard hair is short, simply rub your hands on a towel to remove the hairs.
- Then, take a dime-sized amount of hair dye and apply it on the facial hair area with the help of a cotton swab or a makeup brush.
- Make sure that you apply the dye evenly on your beard and not all over your face or neck.
- You will need to repeat this process of shaving off the beard hair and then applying the dye several times until your desired color is achieved.
How to dye beard naturally
Wearing a hat can cover your face when you are dyeing your beard, especially if you are using liquid hair dye. However, you can still safely use hairspray to keep the hairs in place.
If you are going for the most natural, simple, and inexpensive option, you can simply dye your beard with a beard brush, beard shampoo, or beard oil. All you need is some natural ingredients like onion, lemon, almond, olive oil, rosemary, and other essential oils.
What to do
- You can start your beard dyeing by rinsing your beard with warm water.
- Allow the beard to air-dry for 2-3 minutes before rinsing it off with a clean, cool stream of water.
- Do this for 2-3 times until your beard is completely dry.
- Next, you should comb your beard using a soft tooth comb and apply some beard shampoo.
How to remove hair dye from beard skin
As hair dye goes, it can be very difficult to get rid of it once you’ve applied it on your beard. But there are a few steps you can take to make the process easier.
- You should take a damp cloth and wipe the area where the dye was applied on your beard thoroughly.
- Then apply a moisturizer and massage it on your beard. Continue to do this for about a minute.
- Repeat this step 2 to 3 times daily until the smell is removed.
- Using a conditioner with oil, you can shave it off completely. You can also use soft shaving soap to smooth the area.
Should I dye my beard to match my hair?
If you want to have the same color hair as your beard, then the answer is no. There are thousands of kinds of hair dyes on the market and each brand claims that their product will cover the color of your beard.
However, we strongly advise you to stay away from these products, since many dyes are not safe to use on your beard.
What If My Beard Is Thick? If you have a lot of beard hair on your face and want to cover your beard hair, then you can apply some beard hair dye over your hair. There are several styles of hair dye that you can use for this purpose, such as black, dark brown, dark blonde, or any other of the colors mentioned in the previous sentence.
Can you dye white beard hair?
Using yellow, purple or black hair dye can alter the natural hue of your beard, changing its appearance. However, it is only recommended to dye it black as it will look natural. However, do not assume that all white beard hair is yellowish in color, since your beard area may not be as dark as the rest of your head.
To avoid looking clownish or orange, it is best to try the same dye on your head before using it on your beard.
Can I dye brown beard hair yellow or orange?
Using yellow, purple or black hair dye can alter the natural hue of your beard, changing its appearance. But it is only recommended to dye it black as it will look natural. To avoid looking clownish or orange, it is best to try the same dye on your head before using it on your beard.
Hair grows quickly and is not the same all the time. Your beard hair growth rate should be around 1 – 1.5 cm per month. Keep in mind that, with regular beard grooming and hair colouring your beard is likely to look different depending on your growth rate and facial hair pattern.